Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Court and Tribunal Services
Court and Tribunal Services Header
Print page


Any child under the age of 18 years, who may be required to give evidence, can be referred to the Child Witness Service. Referrals usually come from the WA Police, but can also be from a Government agency or the child's caregiver(s).

It is important that children are referred to the Child Witness Service as soon as possible after charges have been laid against an alleged offender. It is not necessary to know for certain if the child is required to give evidence.

Where possible, the following details should be provided to the Child Witness Service at the time of referral:

  • name, date of birth and current address
  • what charges have been laid (if known).

Making a referral

To make a referral, telephone the coordinator of the Child Witness Service. Once a child is referred, the service will arrange an appointment for the caregiver(s) and child to meet a Child Witness Service worker.

Contact details

Victim Support and Child Witness Service
Department of the Attorney General

Level 2, 500 Hay Street
PERTH  WA  6000
Phone: (08) 9425 2850
Fax: (08) 9425 2167
Freecall: 1800 818 988

Last updated: 27-Feb-2018

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | HR Kiosk
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Births, Deaths and Marriages | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.