Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Court and Tribunal Services
Court and Tribunal Services Header
Print page

Court Fines

What is a court fine?

A court fine is a financial penalty which a judge, magistrate or justice of the peace has ordered you to pay in a Western Australian Court.

When you receive a court fine, it will be registered with the Fines Enforcement Registry the day after the fine or order was given to you.

How do I pay a court fine?

You can pay the fine in full or apply for a Time to Pay arrangement through the following options:

  • Complete a Time to Pay Arrangement Form.
  • Email
  • Call the Fines Enforcement Registry on 1300 650 235 (from landlines) or 9235 0235 (for mobile/interstate callers) between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

You can also attend any Magistrates Court to make a payment or apply for a Time to Pay arrangement.

To avoid additional fees, pay your court fine before the due date.

What happens if I don't pay my court fine?

28 days from the date on the notice, a Notice of Intention to Enforce will be served if the fine remains outstanding, warning you that your driver’s and/or vehicle licence may be suspended.

Can any other action be taken against me if I don't pay my court fine?

Yes, an Enforcement Warrant may be issued.

An Enforcement Warrant may be issued when court fines or infringements remain outstanding.

Enforcement Warrants give the Sheriff authority to take further action to recover unpaid court fines and infringements.

Enforcement Warrants authorise the Sheriff to:

  • wheel clamp your vehicle
  • remove your vehicle registration plates
  • suspend or cancel your vehicle licence
  • seize and sell your personal property
  • lodge memorials (caveats) on your land and/or real property (real estate).

How can I dispute a court fine?

If you want to dispute a court fine, and you were present in court on the day of the hearing, you will need to lodge an appeal with the Supreme Court.

If you want to dispute a court fine, and you were not present in court on the day of the hearing, you can request a re-hearing at the court where the matter was heard.

Contact the court where the court fine was made to discuss your options. You may want to seek legal advice.

If your licence has already been suspended and you choose to dispute the court fine, the licence suspension will automatically be lifted once the court lists the matter for a hearing.

If you want to apply for a Time to Pay arrangement, see the Fact Sheet - Applying for a Time to Pay Arrangement for more details.

Can I apply for community work?

Court fines (excluding court fines issued pursuant to Commonwealth legislation) registered at the Fines Enforcement Registry may be eligible to be converted into community work, subject to certain criteria.

How do I apply for community work?

Complete a Request to Convert Court Fine to Community Work Form.

Alternatively, this form can be obtained from a Magistrates Court. Email your completed form to or post:

Fines Enforcement Registry
GPO Box X2293
PERTH WA 6847.

You will be notified by mail of the outcome of your request.

What happens if I ignore my outstanding court fines?

If you ignore your outstanding court fines and all other attempts to enforce the fines (for example, suspension of your driver’s or vehicle licence, community work) a Warrant of Commitment may be issued for your arrest.

What is a Warrant of Commitment and what effect does it have?

A Warrant of Commitment is issued by the Fines Enforcement Registry for outstanding court fines if all previous enforcement options have been unsuccessful.

A Warrant of Commitment directs the Police to arrest you and orders you to serve time in prison to settle the outstanding debt.

I also have an infringement notice - what do I do?

See the infringement notices page.

Last updated: 15-Apr-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Births, Deaths and Marriages | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.